Pursuit ends in arrest in Lewis County

Dennis K. Brown, The Lewis County Herald
Johnson -

VANCEBURG — A Lewis County man was arrested Thursday on multiple charges following a pursuit that began in Vanceburg and ended on the Grayson Spur of the AA Highway more than 30 minutes later.

Lewis County Sheriff Johnny Bivens said he and Deputy Matt Ross had been dispatched to the Garrison area to investigate an ongoing domestic issue and as they were returning to Vanceburg on Kentucky 8 they spotted the vehicle a suspect in the domestic issue was said to be driving.

Bivens said the suspect vehicle, a maroon 2005 Chevrolet Equinox, pulled into a car wash business in Vanceburg and the officers pulled in behind.

At that point, Bivens said, the suspect vehicle sped off and turned off Kentucky 8 onto Fairlane Drive in Vanceburg.

Bivens said he initiated a pursuit of the vehicle at that time and was joined in the effort by Vanceburg police officers.

The pursuit continued through Vanceburg and through a used car lot before the suspect vehicle continued back through Garrison and on to Quincy turning up Briary Road and back to the Kentucky 9 AA Highway then onto Kinney Road and across the Grayson Spur of the AA Highway where the suspect turned onto Birchwood Lane.

Bivens said the suspect crashed the vehicle into the creek off Birchwood Lane and led officers on a brief foot pursuit before he was finally taken into custody.

Bivens said Charles F. Johnson, 38, of Vanceburg, was arrested and taken to the Lewis County Detention Center but was transported directly from there to Meadowview Regional Medical Center in Maysville for treatment of a health issue. He was later returned to the detention center.

Bivens said preliminary charges include first-degree fleeing or evading police, multiple counts of first-degree wanton endangerment, driving under the influence, and operating on a suspended or revoked license. He said additional charges are pending.

Bivens said a vehicle on the used car lot was damaged by the suspect vehicle during the pursuit and added none of the officers were injured during the ordeal.

Also assisting were Portsmouth Ambulance personnel, Kentucky State Police, and Clark’s Towing.


Dennis K. Brown, The Lewis County Herald