Porch fire spreads to home in Fleming County

Jonathan Wright - [email protected]

FLEMINGSBURG — A house fire caused by a lit cigarette destroyed a home in Fleming County, Monday.

Firefighters responded to a house fire near Secrets Crossing in Flemingsburg just after 11 a.m.. Director of Dispatch Charlotte Benton said.

According to Fleming County Sheriff Gary Kinder, the fire was located on the corner of Secrets Crossing and Madonna Lane. The home belonged to Molly Hall.

Kinder said he believes the fire was started when Hall’s son, Lance Selby was smoking on the back porch where there was old carpeting. Selby left to run an errand, leaving his cigarette.

Kinder said Selby wasn’t sure if he properly put out his cigarette, which ignited the carpeting on the porch and spread to the home.

The Flemingsburg Volunteer Fire Department responded, and managed to put out the flames. The sheriff’s office said no one was injured in the fire. Damage to the home was significant, Kinder said, and believes the home may be uninhabitable.

“They got it out before it burned down,” Kinder said, “but it’s pretty well destroyed.”

Mayor Marty Voiers, a member of the Flemingsburg Volunteer Fire Department who was on the scene, said the fire was centralized in the attic of the building. Voiers also said the roof had collapsed into the house, making it a total loss.

According to Voiers, both the Flemingsburg and Hillsboro volunteer fire departments reported to the scene. A call to the Ewing department was made, though the situation had managed to be controlled and they were called off.

No foul play is suspected to have taken place during the incident, only an accident, according to Kinder.

Jonathan Wright

[email protected]