Campground entertainment license denied

By Christy Howell-Hoots - [email protected]
-

MOUNT OLIVET — A request for an entertainment license by a Robertson County campground has been rejected.

River Ridge campground, owned by Matthew Edwards and Craig Rosen, is an all male, clothing optional camp that has already been certified by the state, according to the Michael Bouldin, attorney for the campground.

On May 7, a public hearing was held in order to discuss an entertainment license for the campground, which was filed by the owners, according to Bouldin.

“We are here to discuss the entertainment license,” Bouldin said on May 7. “But, I would like to give a little background on the camp. It is a male only, clothing optional camp. The camp will have a wooden fence, with mesh that is not see-through, around the entire site that will be up to 12 feet in some areas. No one will be able to see inside.”

According to Bouldin, the camp permit was approved earlier this year by officials in Frankfort and was only seeking an entertainment license from Robertson County.

“The entertainment license will be used if the camp wants to host a concert or other activities,” he said. “If something is opened to the public, the camp must abide by all public decency and discrimination laws, meaning they will have to be clothed and women will allowed inside the campground.”

Robertson County Judge-Executive Stephanie Bogucki said Friday that she would not approve the entertainment license and provided three reasons for the rejection.

The first reason cited was insufficient research on criminal history records.

During the public meeting May 7, one resident said he was concerned about the criminal history listed in a packet given to guests, without further information in regards to the actual crime.

Bouldin said the criminal history was a traffic violation, but he was unable to get the information in time to have it put in the packet of information.

“Criminal history records were furnished to the county. While I have no reason to doubt they were presented in good faith, I do have genuine concerns that they were not independently researched and reported accurately as opposed to “primarily” traffic violations of the applicants,” Bogucki said.

Bogucki’s also expressed concerns about the fence that will be placed around the campground, which will provide “99 percent blockage.”

“Given the nature of the campground and its stated purpose I am further greatly concerned with the phrase relative to the privacy fencing issue,” she said. “Nothing less than 100 percent blockage is acceptable.”

According to Bogucki, the comments during the public hearing showed the community was not in favor of the campground.

“Given the comments of the public it is clear to me that the cross section of the community is opposed to the activities advertised to be engaged in at the campground and therefore are not in conformity and in fact are contrary to local standards of appropriate behavior,” she said. “To protect the local standards of acceptable behavior would require complete privacy and not 99 percent or less blockage.”

A third concern for Bogucki was the ingress and egress into the campground as the entrance to the campground will be on Harding Road, a one-lane road in the county.

“It has been stated that recreational vehicles, most of which are larger and wider than automobiles or pickup trucks, will be coming to the campground in significant numbers. There are approximately seven homes south of the campground entrance. Ingress and egress on a busy weekend at the campground, for the residents of these homes. would be a major traffic problem and should an emergency occur, first responders may be precluded from reaching the occupants of these residences.”

https://maysville-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/web1_courthouse-1.jpg

By Christy Howell-Hoots

[email protected]