If you’re looking for something full of flavor, but nutritional too, look no further than a Spanish rice casserole. This dish is good any time of the year, but especially nice when you’re all out of recipe ideas or are looking for a one-dish meal to take to a family get-together. It’s filling and delicious.
This is a layered casserole, and you can use chicken instead of beef, if you like.
1 lb. ground beef.
1 15 oz. can/package Spanish rice.
½ can whole kernel corn.
1 average-size tomato, diced.
1 8-oz. bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
1 small container of sour cream.
½ or 1 average-size bag of crushed nacho chips.
1 envelope of taco seasoning.
1 small jar taco sauce.
1 small can black olives.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brown 1 lb. ground beef with envelope of taco seasoning, onions optional
- Prepare can/package of Spanish rice in a saucepan or large bowl if microwaving it.
- In a 9 x 13 baking pan, spread the seasoned ground beef as the bottom layer.
- Then spread the Spanish rice on top of the beef.
- Next sprinkle the ½ can of whole-kernel corn on top of the Spanish rice.
- The next layer should be your diced tomatoes.
- Then comes your layer of cheddar cheese.
- Top this with crushed ½ or full bag of your favorite nacho chips. (1/2 bag if you like a light crunchy crust on top—the whole bag if you like a heavier crunchy crust on top).
- Pour a light drizzle of taco sauce in zigzags across the top of all of this.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until everything melts together.
- Remove from oven, then serve with a dollop of sour cream and a garnish of black olives. Serve with extra nacho chips if desired.
This is a fun recipe to experiment with, so let your imagination get carried away with variations. For example, you can use chunky salsa instead of diced tomatoes, Velveeta cheese sauce instead of shredded cheddar, or add diced green peppers, red peppers, chili beans, or black beans to the mix.
Visit Tammy’s Fiesta Fudge page at Facebook.